Choose a base…
- Little gem lettuce
- Shredded kale
- Spring greens
- Mixed salad leaves
Followed by the main attraction… (include at least 1 from each section to hit all 4 points on your food diary…!)
Lean protein – tofu/ prawns/ steamed salmon/ tinned or fresh tuna/ grilled turkey breast/ boiled or poached egg/ grilled chicken breast
Fruit and veg – berries/ pomegranate/ sugar snap peas/ courgette ribbons/ shredded carrot/ orange segments/ steamed asparagus/ raisins or cranberries/ roasted butternut squash/ steamed broccoli
Complex carb – quinoa/ couscous/ pear barley/ chickpeas/ bulgar wheat/ drained mixed beans/ roasted sweet potato
Good fats – nuts/ olive oil/ avocado/ sunflower seeds/ toasted pumpkin seeds
Add a flavour boost…
- Celery leaves
- Shredded mint
- Chopped coriander
- Chili flakes
Top with a great dressing…
- Greek vinaigrette: ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar, juice of 1 lemon, 2 cloves garlic (crushed), 1 tsp. dried oregano, black pepper. Combine in a jar and shake or combine in a bowl and whisk.
- Honey mustard: ½ cup low fat Greek yoghurt, 3 tbsps. Dijon mustard, 2 tbsps. runny honey, 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, pinch salt. Combine in a jar and shake or combine in a bowl and whisk.
- Balsamic vinaigrette: ¾ cup olive oil, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, black pepper. Combine in a jar and shake or combine in a bowl and whisk.
- Orange and ginger: ¼ cup olive oil, juice and zest from ½ orange, 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger, 2 tbsp. rice vinegar, 1 tsp. runny honey. Combine in a jar and shake or combine in a bowl and whisk.
- Lemon and mint dressing: 150g low fat Greek yoghurt, juice and zest of 1 lemon, handful of mint leaves, 1 tsp. white wine vinegar, splash of water. Combine in blender and blend.